Critical Reflection


Module Learning


When I first came to Professor Blackstone's class, I presumed that his module was going to be somewhat similar to what I did back in my polytechnic days. The communications module that I did in polytechnic was fun but at the same time, I did not learnt much in term of written and oral skills. Nonetheless, I was willing to be open-minded and see how would the module go. Three months flew past very fast and today was the final lesson. Concluding today's final session, I must acknowledged that Professor Blackstone has truly opened my eyes to what communication skills is all about in the working world. This has enhanced both my written and oral communication skills.

Professor Blackstone's way of teaching was truly remarkable whereby he taught the class and I skills in all sorts of possible ways. For example, Professor Blackstone would call out students to read aloud a certain paragraph while going through the lessons and this taught us how to project out our voice in class, and not be shy instead. This skillset was essential for our final main presentation that happened not too long ago, and I had gained an understanding by then on how to project my voice out properly in front of an audience.

Professor Blackstone would often also group students in pairs or groups, to work on a particular unit during lessons. I learnt a lot through this method whereby I felt it enhanced individual learning through the exchange of knowledge and skills within the team. It also elevated a form of communication between one another, whereby we had to brainstorm ideas and discuss to come out with a correct input for Professor Blackstone's questions. This made me more confident as a person to come out and share my train of thoughts, and at the same time, articulating them.

Professor Blackstone also compiled out various sources that was useful in all aspects. For example, it had links of how to cite in APA style, and various tips on how to craft out a technical report. Professor Blackstone also compiled up sample student essays and useful presentation skills videos for the class. I am truly grateful for all the materials that he provided, as it helped me a lot for the preparation of my technical report and presentation. This was the most important aspect, in which I felt I improved a lot in my writing, oral and presentation skills. 

I saw the difference in terms of how the communications module was taught in my polytechnic and over at SIT. Professor Blackstone showed the class and I what true communication skills was, and how to hone them. I am truly grateful to Professor Blackstone, who taught the class and I superbly, and for his constant words of encouragement that pushed me to keep going.



Project Learning


The module had an assignment whereby I was grouped with some students which was for the technical report. I was assigned the role as a team leader and was tasked the responsibility to ensure my group remained focused and submit all required tasks on time. I learnt a lot of new things both in working in a team and being a leader.

In terms of being a leader, I learnt the importance of having a proper discussion whereby all of the team members and I discuss on various pointers, and try to come out with a finalized pointer. This was crucial when it came to the solutions segment of the technical report, whereby the team and I had to implement futuristic ideas into the Garbage-Guardian. I understood the importance of critical thinking from team discussions, and this was where I also honed my skills to pointing out logical fallacies.

In terms of working in a team, I learnt how to never disrupt when a person is talking, even if there was something important to be said to counter argue. This was taught by Professor Blackstone from day one, where he taught us to always show a form of respect when people are talking. This was basically called active listening. I believe I learnt a lot from this skillset, and I was able to carry out the meetings more effectively.

All in all, I believe I can takeaway my project learning experience to the next trimester, where I am sure there will be more projects to come, and I will be able to use the skills I learnt.










Project Learning

Comments

  1. Thank you, Shajesh, for this richly detailed reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sir,

      Thank you Sir for your kind words. Thank you for everything!

      Regards,
      Shajesh

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog