Week 2 Submission 1a: Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter)

Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Professor Brad Franklin Blackstone,

My name is Shajesh Raja Naran. I am writing to you to introduce myself as one of your students in this trimester. I am currently a year 1 student from the mechanical engineering course. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in aerospace and aeronautical technology in 2021.

Engineering captured my interest at a young age. I saw the world as a system and was fascinated to know how they worked. For instance, I disassembled and reassembled parts of a racing car to see its system.  Additionally, I like planes and wondered how they functioned. Hence, I took a diploma that was relevant to aerospace technology.  I decided to further expand my knowledge of engineering after attaining my diploma. Thus, I am here today at Singapore Institute of Technology majoring in mechanical engineering!

I grew up realizing that I have a creative thinking mindset which sets me apart from people. I like to think out of the box and find an efficient approach to daily problems. For example, if there is a mathematics problem depicting a complicated solution, I will try my best to find another method which is easier to utilize. Having this mindset certainly allows me to find efficient and innovative ways to problems in life.

My strength in communication is my active listening skills. I am able to give a speaker my undivided attention. I observe their body language too. This allows me to communicate better with people and give constructive replies. As for weakness wise, I tend to use filler words such as “um” in my speeches when I forget what to say.

I aim to elevate my public speaking confidence and eliminate filler words in your module. I hope to learn your methods and refine my communication skills for the future.

All in all, I hope through this letter, you have a better understanding of me as a person. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I am looking forward to learning from you!

Best regards,

Shajesh Raja Naran




Names of people's letter I read: 

Yu Siang, Zhi Xiang (Skylar), Kevin Chan and Yi Jia (Kayden) 

Edited my letter:

14/09/2023



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shajesh, I love your detailed introduction which covers a lifestyle from young to the current state you are in. In addition, providing short but straightforward with examples not only for yourself personally and also aiding others with your innovative working style. Content wise, it covers all the requirements for an introduction letter and I like most about the strength you have given and talks about your difficulty which transit to how you have a plan on working to eliminate bad habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yu Siang,

      Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate them!

      Regards,
      Shajesh

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and detailed letter in my opinion. Points were presented properly. However for example “disassembled and reassembled parts like a racing car” is confusing. To me i feel the better word used could be “from” or “such as”. Some sentences were using past tense but suddenly became present tense . Feel that language used was a little improper however content is great and relevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kevin,

      Thank you for your feedback. I will take note of them and edit my letter to make it better.

      Regards,
      Shajesh

      Delete
  5. Hi shajesh ! The letter you had written did clearly explain all the required pointer , but I would like to comment on some parts which might be useful for you.
    The sentence "For instance, I use them when I forget what to say". can be change to " For instance sometimes I could not process the words in my mind" this might sound more smooth when reading. I enjoyed reading your letter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zhixiang,

      Thank you for your feedback. I did read the part you mentioned and realized that you were right! Thank you for pointing it out.

      Regards,
      Shajesh

      Delete
  6. Dear Shajesh,

    This is a well-crafted and detailed letter. I appreciate learning about you being a creative thinking' guy and how that relates to your interest in dis-assembling and reassembling devices. Kudos for also doing the work needed to bring your passion for systems and problem solving together with your study life.

    You also do a fairly decent job presenting your comm skills weakness -- the use of filler in speaking -- and connecting that to your immediate needs and your module goals.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for your feedback and I look forward learning more from you Sir!

      Regards,
      Shajesh

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog